One of the best things about summer is all the activities you can do as a family. We love to spend time as a family.
We went to Mexico in May and had a great time. I was a little nervous about the whole airport/flying thing with Bo but he was a little trooper. We didn't have any trouble at the airport or customs with him. The flight attendants all told us how good he was. I loved being able to show Bo a new place and discover things we don't get to see everyday. We went and played with the dolphins and he absolutely loved them. He liked the beach but he wasn't going anywhere near the ocean! He kept his eye on it while we were playing on the beach and wouldn't let us get to close to it.
I think the summertime activity that we like the most though is camping! We all love to camp. I don't really know why it is so fun but it is. We went to the Little Sahara Sand Dunes last week and had so much fun. Bo is a little dare devil and he thought it was so much fun to ride the four wheeler around on the big dunes. He wasn't scared one little bit. I was scared a little bit though. Daddy is a great driver and I knew we were safe with him driving but being a mom I think I have become part chicken. Daddy grew up going to the sand dunes and he loves being able to share them with Bo.
Running to Momma!
We got off the four wheeler and took off our shoes and played in the sand. This was so much fun and it is what Bo enjoyed the most. We brought some of his toys with us out there and drove them down the big tall sand hills. Then Bo would scoot down them on his bottom. Both Tracy and I would walk down the dunes with him and then we would have to walk back up to the top. What a work out!
Bo's cute little foot and hand prints
We even took our dogs. Foxy had puppies and I didn't want to leave them home while we were gone. They all did so well. It was a great summertime activity for us!
Bo snuggling one of the puppies
We were the only people out on the dunes and we had so much family fun. I love my family so much.
My zucchini plants are producing like crazy!! I have 2 yellow zucchini, 2 regular green zucchini and 2 eight ball zucchini. They grow round like a ball. I thought it would be fun to try them out. So that is 6 zucchini plants all together. That may have been too many but this spring when we were planting our garden I thought I had better plant 2 of each kind what if some of them don't grow! Oh well I love zucchini and so does Tracy. I cooked some last night for dinner and Bo actually ate it and LIKED it. AMAZING!!! I didn't even have to tell him it was a hot dog zucchini.
I looked for some recipes today with zucchini so we didn't get sick of the old stand by recipes. These two sound so yummy.
Zesty Zucchini Skillet I made this one. All of the Vegetables came out of my garden but the celery. We don't eat onions at my house so I put a little more zucchini and celery in. It is so delicious!!
Here is the other one I am going to make soon. I think the eight ball zucchini will be great for this recipe!
My Grandma Ruth was one of the most giving ladies I know. She would go without so she could help any member of her family.
I am named after her and we have always had a special bond because of it.
She has Alzheimer's and doesn't recognize me anymore. It was a sad day when I went to see her and realized she didn't know me anymore. I never thought she would forget Bonnie Ruth.
She is in a care center and when I go with my mom to see her it makes me so sad to see her sitting in her chair staring off into space.
I went with my mom a couple of days ago to see her and my mom said to her, "Mom this is Bonnie Ruth do you remember Bonnie Ruth?" I had my son with me, and my mom said "This is Bonnie Ruth's little boy, Bo."
I have known that my grandma wouldn't know my son, but I had never cried about it until that day. I think it was because of how my mom said it. I know my grandma would be so proud of my son and she would love him.
My mom said she wanted Grandma to maybe recognize me a little bit. Even though we know she hasn't for a long time. Sometimes she smiles and we think she may have a spark of knowing or feeling who we are.
Grandma does love when my sisters and I bring our little kids to see her. Her face lights up and she watches them and says oh. She doesn't say many words anymore and we just talk to her and tell her that we love her or that her hair and finger nails look nice.
Alzheimer's is such a sad disease. I really wish Grandma didn't have it. I have a lot of questions I would really like to ask her but I know she won't be able to answer me. I love Grandma Ruth so much and I am so sad to see her in this state.
On last times menu I made Simple Hamburger Hot Dish. This was soooo yummy. I thought it looked good when I found it but I didn't think it was going to be as good as it was. I found the recipe at BettyCrocker.com and it was very simple to make. Here is the recipe for it.
On to the Menu
July 1st Chicken Fried Steak
July 2nd Spaghetti this is an old stand by at our house.
July 3rd Chicken and Broccoli Skillet
July 4th Happy Birthday America!! Buffalo Style Grilled Chicken
Rules for 5QF: Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then watch for the linky to appear Friday morning! And remember, most importantly, to HAVE FUN!!
Questions for Friday, June 24th: (Special thanks to Sandy, Sharayha, Pam,dosweatthesmallstuff, and @my4redheads for their question suggestions! I love to link people in #5QF, so if YOU would like to be linked, head on over to my community to offer up your best question suggetions, or shout 'em out to me on Twitter. [Remember to@5crookedhalos me and use hashtag #5QF]).
1. If you had the opportunity to bungee jump, would you? Heck NO!! I have NEVER had any desire to do this. I am a chicken, more so now that I am a Mommy!
2. Would you rather go to the movie theater or to the drive-in? Hmmm..... I would rathere sit in my living room and watch a movie. I am not a big fan of going to see movies. Ya it is fun once I get there but I can think of a million things I would rather do than spend money to go see a movie. Only been to a drive in once though and it wasn't the greatest experience I had ever had. Four kids two adults trying to fit in the back of a Ford Ranger. Two of the kids and myself fell asleep. The bed of a Ford Ranger is not the most comfy place to sleep let me tell ya.
3. Do you have your groceries delivered? No I actually like to grocery shop. It is like my day out, LOL. Every payday I go get groceries. I make out my menu and then have my grocery list ready and head for the store. The grocery store in my little town isn't the best place to shop but it will do. Some paydays I go to WALMART!!! These are the "fun" grocery shopping days. Our WalMart is an hour away in a bigger town and I get to eat lunch at somewhere yummy like Cafe Rio. I don't mind shopping with my little guy who is 2 1/2 either, but I only have one. One day he wanted to stay home with my mom so I went to Wal Mart by myself. I was so lonely! I had no one to talk to in the store.
4. Eyebrows: Do you wax, thread, pluck, or stay au naturel? Pluck. I have waxed in the past, but I LOVE to pluck things out with tweezers. It is an adiction almost.
5. Would the people you went to high school with be surprised by your life today?
No I don't think so. I always wanted to live in my home town near my family and have kids. I have 1 boy not 6 like I used to want in high school.