Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Let's Stop Poisoning Our Children!

I admit I was never really concerned about green products until I got pregnant with Bo. I didn’t want to do anything that would harm his little body. When Bo was 1 I was lucky enough to find an online store to shop from for everyday products ranging from cleaning products to personal care products that are all chemical free. I was shocked to find out that so many everyday products that we use have toxic harmful chemicals in them not just cleaning products but also toothpaste and baby wash and many more. One big shocker for me was the ingredient Quaternium 15 or Q 15 for short. Q 15 is a formaldehyde releaser used for a preservative. It is known to cause cancer, skin problems and asthma. It is in name brand baby wash so every time I bathed Bo I was basically putting formaldehyde on his body.
I have recently read a Pamphlet entitled, “Let’s Stop Poisoning Our Children!” by Debra Lynn Dadd.




It was so informational and eye opening. The following information is from Chapter 1.
Since WWII, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of man-made chemicals we use in our homes. Our homes are where we are exposed to most of the chemicals. The typical home now contains over 63 hazardous products that together contain hundreds of different chemicals. At the same time, there has been as equally dramatic rise in the incidences of certain chronic health problems, like asthma, learning problems and cancer, especially in children. We spend 80 to 90% of our time indoors and most of that in our homes. Why are our homes so toxic? Because since the 1970’s there has been an increase of toxic chemicals in household products and we have been making our homes more energy efficient. The lack of openings for air to escape also keeps chemical air pollutants in, resulting in a greater concentration of pollutants indoors than out. EPA studies found that even in urban areas with high levels of industrial pollution the concentration of toxic chemicals was higher indoors that outdoors- in some cases ten, twenty, thirty and even up to seventy times higher indoors!
There has been a rise in chronic illnesses in adults and children. Cancer, Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Birth Defects, Asthma, and Attention Deficit Disorder just to name a few. Of course other factors are involved, more and more scientists are linking these ailments to long-term chemical exposure.
Fortunately there are companies who refuse to use these chemicals in their products and who are concerned for our welfare. I am so thankful I found a company like this and I can shop and have safer products in my home.


I will post about the other chapters in the following weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment